Can hens become depressed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kanga77510, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    We've noticed Lucy, our girl with the crossed beak, isn't coming out like she normally should. She's inside the coop almost every time Hubs and I check on her. Her feathers aren't nearly as shiny as the others and she just looks off. I think the other hens are pecking her, I have a hunch she's the low woman on the totem pole. She is clearly smaller than the rest of my little red hens.

We're going to try some free ranging with her, but I don't know if it'll help. Is there anything else we can do to help her out? I'd hate to have to cull her. [​IMG]

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Give her some extra treats and 1 on 1 human time. She'll be spoiled but happier. Is it possible her problems are physical?

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Is Lucy having trouble eating because of the crossed beak?

4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Update on Lucy: She's been coming out more and more. The little guy and I gave them treats of old bread and leftover veggies today before lunch. Lucy came out and got some treats. Yay! I've seen her out sunning herself a bit more too. Let's hope she's out of her funk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by