1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Hens Crow?-PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Strangest thing happened this morning! [​IMG] I was letting my 7-9 week old chicks out, when my 9 w/o white EE attempted to crow. She looks like a hen, she acts like a hen, well this morning she let loose one of the oddest noises I've ever heard. It was truly like she was trying to crow. Can hens do this?

Thanks,
    Sonja

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, hens can crow especially in the absence of a rooster. Can you post a pic of her and we can let you know if you have a girl for sure.

Jody

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have eight 11 wk old EE chicks and only one of them is white (the rest are goldish/brownish/blackish) and he is a roo! He also started trying to crow a few weeks back. Is your white one larger than the other chicks, are it's legs thicker, and does it have a bolder personality?

I do have a hen that crows, though. She is an 8 yr old barred rock and she began crowing (even now and then) after my other rooster died 2 yrs ago. She is the dominant hen in my older group of chickens.

4. mylilchix

Next time I'm outside I'll take pics of our white one. He/she/it is the same size as my other 2 EE, and all 3 of them rule the coop. They're all very bold. Hmmm, maybe our senorita is a senor!

Sonja

5. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Did she/he [​IMG] also stand on his/her tippy toes and flap his/her wings while he/she was making the noise?

Here is my white EE with some of the brown ones. When I bought them they were advertised as pullets. I asked the guy if he thought I might get a rooster out of the bunch and he said you never could tell [​IMG]. (edited to add that he is 10 wks in the picture)

[​IMG]

6. mylilchix

Well here's a pic of the bird in question. I'm really hoping she's not a he. We've had 4 turn out to be roos, and now one wants to get rid of them [​IMG]. I'm not really looking forward to the boys crowing all the time!

[​IMG]
    Senorita (hmmm maybe she/he/it may be a Senor)!

This one is a 9 weeker, but I don't remember her standing on tip toes. I think it surprised her that she could make that noise.

Sonja

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't have experience with them but that sure looks like a Roo with that red comb and wattle ... and the size of them.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:The tailfeathers look suspiciously like growing sickles because I see a bit of an arch to them. The comb is quite big and red already, too. Does it look like it may be growing spurs?

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Hmm, I think its a roo, my year old EE's dont even have that much of a comb

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would say roo also. My 16wk old EE pullet doesn't have anywhere near that much comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by