Can Hens Drink Whey?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MedSchlFarmers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    I have liquid whey, a byproduct of making homemade yogurt. Can the chickens drink the liquid whey? If offered in a separate dish?

2. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    No problem it's a good source of food for them. I've heard that they really like it, though I've not had any experience with it personally.

3. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thanks! Ill give it a whirl today.

4. Lee-Anna

Lee-Anna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I'm curious how they liked it. I also make our own and sometimes have whey coming out my ears there is so much.

5. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Well, I put it out in a small dish, they all took drinks while I stood there. I left for about an hour or so and came back and it was gone! I am not sure if they spilled it or drank it all? Their run is dirt right now, so I am pretty sure I would have been able to tell if they spilled it. Next time I will watch them with it a little longer.

6. caj1985

caj1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Ratcliff, AR
    I'm not sure about chickens, but I know that my pigs love the stuff. An easy way to keep the chickens from wasting it would be the same way I do with the pigs. Dampen a bowl of their feed with the whey to whatever consistency you like that will stay in the bowl. I'm pretty sure it will be gone in a heartbeat. It would probably be excellent for chicks, similar to fermented feed.

7. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Wonderful! Thank you, I will do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by