Can hens eat medicated chick feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GoldenSparrow, Jul 2, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Can hens eat medicated chick feed?
    Mother hen is staying with her chicks.

I also have a hen that’s not feeling well, would it be bad if she had some?

thanks all

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    There is some research that shows that it is not all that bad if they do eat it...but it is not recommended....I would put out the layer feed for you hen...just at a higher level so the chicks cannot reach it....
    for your sick hen...what are her symptoms, how old, how long, poop, eating, drinking, sleepy, wounds, lice, mites, worms???

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you mean medicated with amprolium, Purina says it's fine, and you can eat the eggs if the other hens eat it:

http://poultry.purinamills.com/ASKTHEEXPERTS/FAQs/ECMD007942.aspx

You can also feed the whole flock grower or flock raiser and skip layer entirely. I have chicks, hens and roosters all together, and never buy layer feed. I keep oyster shell out, separately, and the hens eat it, and the roosters and chicks don't.

I think if you read labels you'll find there is not much difference between these feeds. Some have a little more protein, and of course layer has too much calcium for chicks -- and probably for roosters and for hens raising chicks as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
  4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by