CAN HENS HAVE SPURS???

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
Soooooooo, this sounds kind of stupid, but I have a hen YES A HEN at least....I thought.... I’ve seen her in the nests with eggs. She’s roughed up from me having too many roosters 😒. She was sold as a Sapphire gem PULLET and when I do the google she looks like one just with a little poof on her head. She has a large comb but nothing like our roosters. But I see that there are spurs coming in. HAVE I BEEN DECEIVED THIS WHOLE TIME? I’ve never seen any rooster behavior or anything... like....it’s a girl but now I’m so confused.

Nah, you're cool. Yes, hens can have spurs. They are usually not as big and sharp as a rooster's though. A bossy hen has been known to crow on occasion, too, especially if there is no rooster around. But she's still a hen.

They sure can here's one of mine

img_0017-crop-jpg.1131104

The basis for spurs in hens is genetic. One of my families has most of the hens with spurs. There development is evident by the time they are 8 months old. The spurs interfere with their performance as broody hens.

I have had chickens a very long time. Most of my 40 years. It's been a few years but I didnt have a rooster for my free range flock. Mine was killed. At the time only hens. One was attacked by my neighbors dog as a pullet. She was alive still but crippled up. She squatted down and hobbled around like dragging her ass everywhere she went. I was going to cull. Wife n kids begged me not to. Named her Bertha. I dont name my birds either. She was this way for 6 months at least. I had to catch a boat, then worked a double, then tripped for another Captain who needed time off. So I was away from home for 90 days. When I got back the next morning I heard this hideous sorta hen cackle/rebel yell crow. Asked the wife "wtf was that?" She says "that's bertha, it appears she is a bert. Lol. We were wrong." I said "bullshit" so I went and looked. By God there STOOD this what appeared to be a rooster. Trying to crow. And it was Bertha! Only had a bigger comb and complete with rooster saddle feathers, hackles and the whole 9 yards. I know it was her too by the way cause this scar bald patch on her hind end. Not only had she started turning into rooster she was now no longer humped over and walking crippled. I couldnt believe it. No way I thought. Had to go get her to be sure the family wasnt trying to pull a fast one on me. It was her. Even acting the rooster part. Strutting around. Couple months go by and she is more n more like a rooster. She isnt laying. Never has though. I always contributed that to her attack with dog. I am given a copper marans rooster by a buddy. Bring him home and put into flock. Bert and the new rooster had it out for a week or so they hated each other. But shortly after the marans took the flock lead and Bert, well, she became Bertha again! Lol. I swear. To this day I have Bertha and she is the best layer I got

Last edited:
I have had chickens a very long time. Most of my 40 years. It's been several years but I didnt have a rooster for my free range flock. Mine was killed. At the time only hens. One was attacked by my neighbors dog as a pullet. She was alive still but crippled up. She squatted down and hobbled around like dragging her ass everywhere she went. I was going to cull. Wife n kids begged me not to. Named her Bertha. I dont name my birds either. She was this way for 6 months at least. I had to catch a boat, then worked a double, then tripped for another Captain who needed time off. So I was away from home for 90 days. When I got back the next morning I heard this hideous sorta hen cackle/rebel yell crow. Asked the wife "wtf was that?" She says "that's bertha, it appears she is a bert. Lol. We were wrong." I said "bullshit" so I went and looked. By God there STOOD this what appeared to be a rooster. Trying to crow. And it was Bertha! Only had a bigger comb and complete with rooster saddle feathers, hackles and the whole 9 yards. I know it was her too by the way cause this scar bald patch on her hind end. Not only had she started turning into rooster she was now no longer humped over and walking crippled. I couldnt believe it. No way I thought. Had to go get her to be sure the family wasnt trying to pull a fast one on me. It was her. Even acting the rooster part. Strutting around. Couple months go by and she is more n more like a rooster. She isnt laying. Never has though. I always contributed that to her attack with dog. I am given a copper marans rooster by a buddy. Bring him home and put into flock. Bert and the new rooster had it out for a week or so they hated each other. But shortly after the marans took the flock lead and Bert, well, she became Bertha again! Lol. I swear. To this day I have Bertha and she is the best layer I got
She said “ain’t no body gonna stop me”

I have had chickens a very long time. Most of my 40 years. It's been a few years but I didnt have a rooster for my free range flock. Mine was killed. At the time only hens. One was attacked by my neighbors dog as a pullet. She was alive still but crippled up. She squatted down and hobbled around like dragging her ass everywhere she went. I was going to cull. Wife n kids begged me not to. Named her Bertha. I dont name my birds either. She was this way for 6 months at least. I had to catch a boat, then worked a double, then tripped for another Captain who needed time off. So I was away from home for 90 days. When I got back the next morning I heard this hideous sorta hen cackle/rebel yell crow. Asked the wife "wtf was that?" She says "that's bertha, it appears she is a bert. Lol. We were wrong." I said "bullshit" so I went and looked. By God there STOOD this what appeared to be a rooster. Trying to crow. And it was Bertha! Only had a bigger comb and complete with rooster saddle feathers, hackles and the whole 9 yards. I know it was her too by the way cause this scar bald patch on her hind end. Not only had she started turning into rooster she was now no longer humped over and walking crippled. I couldnt believe it. No way I thought. Had to go get her to be sure the family wasnt trying to pull a fast one on me. It was her. Even acting the rooster part. Strutting around. Couple months go by and she is more n more like a rooster. She isnt laying. Never has though. I always contributed that to her attack with dog. I am given a copper marans rooster by a buddy. Bring him home and put into flock. Bert and the new rooster had it out for a week or so they hated each other. But shortly after the marans took the flock lead and Bert, well, she became Bertha again! Lol. I swear. To this day I have Bertha and she is the best layer I got
Nature is a strange beast.

Back
Top Bottom