Can hens lay itty bitty eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dracoonfly, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Dracoonfly

Dracoonfly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    I'm not talking about small, I'm talking about quail-sized. I found it under my Silkie and at first assumed it came from her as a second egg for the day. She had already laid an egg first thing in the morning. However, she's broody and could just be sitting on someone else's egg. Also, it's much darker than the normal Silkie egg so now I'm wondering if one of my other girls laid a mini-egg. All my other hens are standard size. The picture is of the Silkie's egg beside the mini-egg. Has anyone ever seen this?

[​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Yes they can I think I heard someone call them a fart egg.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Fart egg (or wind egg, for the socially sensitive). Just a glitch at the egg factory and nothing to worry about [​IMG]

4. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    [​IMG]

The tiny egg was from my Mille Fluer D'uccle. The other eggs are a Standard Polish, Bantams Sultan and Cochins, so you can see how tiny her egg was, dove sized. She layed 2 of these super tiny eggs and is now laying a larger egg, although still smaller than the others' in the flock

5. BlackWatchLady

BlackWatchLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
  6. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Are the contents of the fart egg the same as a normal sized egg?

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:No, they are generally missing the yolk.. in the 'fart eggs' that are about the size of a half dollar. (large marble size?)

8. My chicken laid two eggs, one yesterday and one today...yesterdays egg is tiny and todays egg is large....! The little one has a super dark brown shell with spots and the other one is a light tan color without spots.... Can't tell if either egg has a yolk or not. Guess we shall see what happens right?[​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yep, lots of interesting eggs to see from a backyard flock. I like the unusual ones myself. [​IMG]

10. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Awwww...the little eggs are cute! I found one a while back, put it in the incubator but it wasn't fertile. [​IMG]

At least the hen got a break from the regular ones. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by