1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can hens make themselves eggbound?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyrose, Sep 11, 2011.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Hi,i've got a 1 1/2 yr.old silkie (casey) that i had to keep in the house for about 6 weeks due to an injury.I guess i gave her to good of a set up because she has decided she will only lay an egg in her cage in the house.She usually comes in to visit most nights and to get a snack,then goes right back out and is content.But when she wants to lay an egg she will continually run back and forth along the run screaming until i let her out.I open the back door and up the steps and in the door she comes.Runs right into her cage,lays an egg,then she will go back outside with no problem.I was afraid if i forced her to stay outside she would become eggbound.Am i being stupid?Thanks for any advice...

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

You could try moving her cage to outside. On the porch or deck where she comes into the house.

I don't think a hen can cause herself to become eggbound. Never heard of it - but that does not mean it cannot happen.

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

You might try setting that cage she likes outside the door. Hopefully she'll jump in there rather than wait for you to open the door to your house.

4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Thanks for the replies its very appreciated...[​IMG]

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Her cage is pretty large to carry outside,i was wondering if you all thought maybe she would eventually get the hang of the nesting beds or could it possibly be dangerous to make her stay outside...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by