Can horses get

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by arabianequine, Oct 24, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    lice? I think I heard they can. What do they look like the eggs? Are they orange? How do I treat it and get rid of it if it is?

I brushed my horses mane yesterday and noticed these eggs looking things stuck to her mane and coat not very bad but enough. I could not pull them out with my fingers nor would the metal brush work?

Thank you for any help.

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    You sure it isn't BOT eggs?

I think its the time of year for them. They can be bad on their legs as well. You'll have to get yourself a bot comb.

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Yes horses can get lice. THey usually are seen crawling around in the mane.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Yes but what your describing are Bot eggs. Harmless until the horse ingests it when the egg will hatch in the horse's intestines. just pick them off with your fingernails, bot knife (comb) or shedding blade

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  5. LotsaChicken

LotsaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Quote:Just like everyone is telling you, that is bot eggs. You'll need to worm in November to kill the eggs that have already been ingested. An ivermectin based wormer is most effective against bots. Bot flies are terrible this year.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:Just like everyone is telling you, that is bot eggs. You'll need to worm in November to kill the eggs that have already been ingested. An ivermectin based wormer is most effective against bots. Bot flies are terrible this year.

X2

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I have an ivermectin wormer here waiting to give to her....should I now then?

I can't pick them off with my finger nails I tried. [​IMG] What does a bot comb look like? Can I just use a lice comb from walmart? Not sure if that will work on her coat though.

8. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Lice comb might work but if you cant pick them off with your nails then you'll have to get a Bot Knife

[​IMG]

9. LotsaChicken

LotsaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Quote:You can get a bot knife from Tractor Supply. They're really inexpensive. I would wait until next month to give the wormer. She is going to ingest more eggs over this month, even with a bot knife you won't ever get them all. I usually stop seeing them here mid-November. I start seeing them in October, around now. So I worm late November for our fall worming.

10. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

They used to sell pumice like stones that were great for removing bot eggs. The bot flys were always bad because the mild winters here in CA. I would work for hours to get every egg off my horse just to have them covered with more eggs!. Fly spray wouldn't even work to keep them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by