Can human illnesses ( colds, flu, stomach bug etc) affect our babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilBizzy, May 21, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    This may be a totally ridiculous question, but I happen to have a cold, and I guess because the little chick died- even though I KNOW she was so frail and tiny- it got me wondering. Can any human viruses affect the babies? I know that other pets dont get sick from humans, but chicks are so small...

2. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Nope viruses are species specific for the most part. There are a few that can be passed along, like rabies (in mammals) or bird flu, but those are few and difficult to spread. Parasites are the most common thing to spread between human and animals.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I dunno....the only thing I've ever heard of being spread are from animals to humans, not the other way around....like salmonella.....

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    AFAIK no virus that you have any realistic chance of having is going to be transmissible to chickens.

Some bacteria are, such as the Salmonella species that commonly cause food poisoning, and some others that cause abscesses and such. OTOH your chickens are probably already being exposed to those in the environment anyhow and indeed may already be harmlessly carrying them.

I really wouldn't worry about it. More of an issue (slightly) is that when your immune system is busy fighting off some bug, you want to be *extra* careful about washing your hands after handling chicks and pooey things, so's not to get an extra added bonus infection [​IMG]

Good luck and hope you feel better soon,

Pat

5. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    cough I have spread enough germs to kill the girls several times over this week. sneeze They have not sneezed or coughed once. sniffle I wash my hands before and after handling, feeding, and watering the chicks, though. hack.

The doc told me it's a 7-10 day cold. It's been 8 days so far. Hope you feel better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by