Can I “ mix “ duck breeds in a flock?

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
I have a drake who lost his brother to a broken leg from a raccoon. As he’s healing, I know he is going to need a new companion. He is a pekin duck who is around 3 years old. I obviously want to get him a new duck friend. Should I get him another drake? And should I stick to pekins? Should they be around the same age/already an adult? I’m looking to adopt some ducks in my area and currently there’s only call duck drakes for adoption. I know these are quite small ducks and I don’t want my pekin to crush any new duck friend. I also have no idea how to introduce new ducks to each other. Is it the same way you do with chickens? Sorry for so many questions, I never expected to lose his brother but I can tell he is confused and missing his companion, they were very close. I never had ducks for eggs, they were both strictly for pets. I’m afraid if I get a female, he might over mount her and I don’t see a reason for me to get a female because I’m not really interested in eggs. I can only get one more duck because of my city’s poultry laws so I want to make sure I make the right decision!

I would definitely just get another drake if you're only allowed two. You can certainly get a different breed, but I think you're right about avoiding a Call, since there would be so much of a size difference.

If you can find an adult drake, that would be best. And since most people don't want drakes, hopefully you'll be able to get one soon.

Introduction is pretty much the same as with chickens, although ducks usually don't take as much time.

Good luck, and please share pictures when you get him a companion!

Back
Top Bottom