Can I add a young chick in with older ones by herself?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sharylva, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Sharylva

Sharylva Out Of The Brooder

I started on my chicken voyage last January. I have been through quite a few learning experiences. I now have a Americana that is a little over a year old, silver laced wyandotte and a golden sex link that are 3 1/2 mths old and a barred rock that is 4 mths old. I lost my speckled Sussex about a month ago and was left with just my Americana, that's when I got the 3 young ones. The place I get my chickens from did not have any speckled Sussex when I got the other ones. I really want to get another speckled Sussex. He gets one day old chicks and is scheduled to get some speckled Sussex at the end of this month. I'm concerned if I wait till they get older before I buy one they might run out of them but I am also concerned about putting her in with the older chickens. Any opinions?
  2. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    wellll it depends on how old the chick is it is still chilly outside and in one month it still will be a chick needs to be atleast one month old atleast
  3. gmolly

gmolly Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    powell wyoming
    depends how old the ? older chickens are? if they are 2-3months younger then NO . THEY WILL PICK ON IT .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by