Can I add chicks to Broody hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by laverne34, Jul 31, 2011.

1. laverne34

laverne34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a very broody hen who has been sitting on eggs and at last 1 chick has hatched and is perfectly fine and healthy. Here's the problem.....now my hen won't sit on the remainder of the eggs since the hen is so obsessed with this chick. Hen and chick are separated from the rest of the flock in their own coop for now. I was really looking forward to many more chicks..... so here's my question.

Has anyone had successs adding chicks (that weren't hatched by mom in this case)? To Mother hen and chick.

I'd like to take advantage of my very attentive hen raising maybe 6 more chicks for me.

I'd appreciate any input you have on this.

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I actually added three 10-day-old chicks to my broody's 6 chicks when those chicks were 3 or 4 days old. My broody took them right in, taught them a few things right off the bat ("do NOT peck at my eyes!") and took good care of them, along with her little ones. This I was a little concerned about, but it was fine. I've added 1-4 day old chicks to a hatch a number of times and that was super easy. I do keep my broody isolated from the rest of the flock for the first couple of weeks, but it's a lot easier to integrate the youngsters into the flock when their mother is looking out for them and is already a member. In your situation, I would definately do it, sooner rather than later.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've done it a few times successfully, as have many others. Best added at night.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

There are many threads on here about this subject and the general consensus is that it is a successful experiment. I have done it several times with 100% success!

Tip: Do it under cover of full darkness and with a flashlight only. This gives the mom all night long to be sitting on her new family and adapting to having 5 more. Don't lift her off the nest, just slide chicks up under her one at a time. She may fuss and she may even try to peck your hand but she won't get up in the dark.

It is good that you have already separated them from the flock as they will adapt to being a family quicker if they have solitude and peace. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fostering is generally most successful when carried out just as the hen's own chicks hatch. Some hens, however will accept any and all chicks that you give them. By now she "knows" her chick and may be reluctant to accept others especially if they are a different color.

6. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks so much for your advice. I'm looking forward to this experiment tonight.

7. ~MegChristine(:

~MegChristine(: Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    What kind of chicks are you hatching?:)

8. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    The chick that hatched...I don't exactly know which hen is the mother. I have 2 production reds, 1 cuckoo maran, 1 white leghorn, 2 EE's, and the broody that hatched the egg is a gold laced wyandott. I have a bantam rooter (black OEGB) that's been running in with the hens. The hens are much bigger than him so I surprised I actually had some fertile eggs. He's small and pretty harmless but the hens don't mind him. I raised 6 bantams in the house this winter and 3 of them ended up roosters to my disappointment....I need to rehome them.

Anyway....what this chick that hatched turns out to be....who knows.....it's pretty adorable right now. Hope it's not another rooster....my odds for roosters haven't been good lately. LOL

9. ~MegChristine(:

~MegChristine(: Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Quote:I would like to see some pics! And are you selling any of them?

10. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Well.....I tried adding 5 chicks to my broody hen with her 1 single chick and she wanted nothing to do with them. She was mean!! I probably waited too long since her chick was already 8 days old. Oh well....there is a happy ending to this. I tried putting these 5 chicks into my silkie and frizzle pen and they are all happy as can be. My silkie rooster ran and hid when he saw the chicks....LOL. My silkies are toooo cute. They are all tucked in for the night and I'm going to sleep well too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by