1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I add incubating eggs to a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DruT54, Apr 7, 2016.

1. DruT54

DruT54 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    I started incubating some eggs (and on day 8 they all had embryos) and a week later my little Cochin girl went broody. Is it possible to get her to finish incubating and/or raise them? Actually 1 of the eggs is hers and another is her sisters, but the rest belong to my Buff and Australorps (yes I like diversity in my coop)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If I am reading correctly she will be at day 14 of her brooding when the chicks hatch. If so she will probably be hormonally ready to accept them. Understand that about 24 to 36 hours after they hatch she will leave the nest with the chicks. Any eggs that were in her original clutch will have another week to go.

3. DruT54

DruT54 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    so those eggs will get abandoned? If so I won't do that. Thanks!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, once she has chicks she will leave the nest to teach them about eating, drinking, and being chickens. Staggered hatches always cause problems.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Did the broody start sitting on eggs a week later, or are you asking since she is broody can you give her what's in the incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by