1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I add more chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimmypie, Mar 13, 2012.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I got 8 chicks last Tuesday and I want to get two more tomorrow. The ones last week were already a few days old when I got them because they had gotten their last shipment on the previous Saturday but I'm not sure of the exact age. The speckled sussex are the biggest and the Welsummers started out the same size as the Buff Orpingtons but the BO's have grown a lot faster than the Wellies. Anyway, I want to add an Australorp and a Barred Rock, the feed store is getting a new shipment tomorrow. Can I still add them?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Make sure they are the same size, or you could separate them also...

3. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    The current chicks are all different sizes already. The feed store only sells new baby chicks so they will be smaller, but they are only a week or so behind. I can't separate them because I use an ecoglow and I only have 1.

4. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Well I got two tiny chicks today, a barred rock and another EE because I couldn't find black Australorps anywhere. Adter I put them in the brooder with the bigger birds I stayed right by watching for 20-30 minutes to make sure everything was good and the big ones weren't picking on the littles. Everything was fine and the big ones seemed oblivious. I kept checking all day and everyone is getting along so yay!

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Glad things are going well! Just keep an eye on them, my chickens sometimes turn with no apparent warning.

6. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Normally chicks can go in with different ages as long as the oldest chicks are under 4 weeks old. Always watch them to make sure there isn't going to be an issue, but they don't start getting territorial til around 4 weeks of age. :)

7. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We did the same thing on Monday, picked up two more day old chicks and put them in with our 10-12 day old chicks. They have been fine so far. One of the bigger chicks actually fell asleep with both the little ones under her wings. It was really cute and I wish I had been able to get a picture!!

8. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

I had asked the same thing and the general consensus of everything I read was 3-4 weeks in age difference was fine. I found many posts where this was the answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by