Can i add new chicks?

Silling

Chirping
Mar 9, 2021
I had a hen hatch 4 chicks and a month later 3 of the 4 just disappeared. The hen is still mothering the one remaining. Our local feed store sells chicks. Can I buy a few day Olds and sneak them under the mother at night? And will she raise them? Will we have problems with our 1 month old being aggressive?

I would say no.
The month old chick and the broody will likely reject any new comers and kill them.
Have you discovered what got the other 3 chicks?
What ever it was will likely be back for the last one and then maybe the adult chicken.
No. We weren't able to figure it out. We have a hen who was attacked by an eagle in April and is recovering, but there are none of the usual signs of an eagle attack and they all were in their covered run. No tracks in the sand around the run, no blood or feathers. The adults are perfectly calm and unharmed. Its like they just went poof.

the new chicks would need to be the same age at least, anything under a week old will be bullied instantly, I have less experience with a mother hen as I do not use them but the one month old will be ruthless. It cannot be done. If they are the same age, then it can be done and in time they can become best friends but if the new ones are too small it will end badly.

Back
Top Bottom