Can I add one duckling to my flock of chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coop-er, Feb 7, 2015.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    With "chick season" arriving I will be adding a few more chicks to my flock, I would also like to have a duck. Can I get 1 duckling with my chicks and raise them together? How do you choose a female?.....I don't want a drake. Thank you

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I would want to ask why do you want a duck instead of a drake, noise? Because actually Drakes are much quieter. But if you want it for eggs i understand why you would want one. Most ducklings are straight run meaning you could get either or. I would suggest getting two ducks instead of one when they are ducklings because they tend to get lonely and that way you have a better chance of getting a duck instead of a drake.

If the duck is free range some breeds like runners do much better as foragers, since they get respiratory infections ducks often have to eat then take a drink making a mess, not to mention the water mess they make in pools. There's not much to worry about your duckling giving disease to your chicks just clean up shavings almost every day when they are in the brooder box because it can cause ammonia.

3. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    I just don't want an aggressive male around my hens. The noise is not an issue and I am not interested in eggs. I would just like to add a duck to my flock if possible. Thanks for the help!

4. ezekiel5

ezekiel5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Klamath Falls,Oregon
    you can ducks are just really meassy they will ruin your yard and your coop and they stink

5. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    What breed are you looking at?

6. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Well not really anything specific...just whatever is available at TSC when their chicks come in. I currently have silkies, barred rocks, RIR, comets, leghorns, Polish , golden sebrights, and Swedish flower. Fourteen total.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ducklings are horribly messy. If you're set on one, I'd advise to get two and brood them seperate from the chicks. Brooding them together usually makes a damp environment for the chicks, and that's a danger to them, chicks need dry.

I'm not aware of a way to sex ducklings, and I agree having a solitary drake with your chicken hens could be quite bad for the hens. If you really want duck, I'd say look for a young adult or mature bird, so you know you're getting a female. You might also consider getting two, as they do better with their own kind.

8. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    A way to sex a duckling is by looking at the vent, ducklings and goslings unlike chickens have reproductive organs like mammals. For the first few days you can vent sex them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Thank you all, I appreciate all of the good information you have offered!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by