Can I add to my incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fishinchicken, Mar 15, 2011.

1. fishinchicken

fishinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    SWVA
    I set eggs on March 6th....so I am 9 days in. Can I add more eggs to the bator now for a new batch of little ones or should I wait? I've got silkies and have never actually eaten any of thier eggs. This is the first time I've gotten a real flow of eggs. Thanks

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:The problem your going to have unless you have another bator to hatch them out in is when your first set goes on lockdown. Your newer eggs will still need to be turned and your other ones won't. Even if you turn by hand you can't open the bator during lockdown!!

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I do staggered hatches often, actually I am in the beginning stages of my first one of the year [​IMG] 16 due tomorrow, 16 next week [​IMG] You have to space them enough that the humidity spike doesn't effect them TOO MUCH. The way I counter it is after the hatch, remove some water and let the rest dry up for a whole day and allow the dip in humidity, that will balance the moisture the other eggs should have lost during the humidity spike. I've had really good results. Some of my best hatches have been done this way, also some of my worst, but I am not convinced it was the staggering that was harmful considering I had great results during other staggered hatches. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:The problem your going to have unless you have another bator to hatch them out in is when your first set goes on lockdown. Your newer eggs will still need to be turned and your other ones won't. Even if you turn by hand you can't open the bator during lockdown!!

I've not had issue with that either. I can't tell that it hurts them unless they are less than 10 days in by the time of hatch. The first 10 days are the most important for turning.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.

I've not had issue with that either. I can't tell that it hurts them unless they are less than 10 days in by the time of hatch. The first 10 days are the most important for turning.

Well that's good to know!! I've been lucky I made a homemade bator that I've been using as my hatcher for these last 2 batches so I've been able to take the ones going on lockdown out and leave the others in my Brinsea!! [​IMG]

6. newbechicken

newbechicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I've also had positive results with a staggered hatch. Set 10 Feb 11,12 and 1 on Feb 19 and two on Feb 20. 10/13 hatched and are all doing great. Growing like little weeds. This was my first go at hatching. I have a Little Giant still air and turned by hand. I kept the second group separated from the first hatch with a plastic fruit container with lid cut off turned upside down. I could still reach in turn eggs add water ect and the first babies did not trample the still incubating eggs. The fluctuactions in temp and humidity that were unavoidable during turning and hatching did not seem to adversely affect hatch rate. The second group of eggs were also refrigerated prior to going into the bator and 2/3 of these hatched!!!! I did have some sleepless nights watching hatch TV and moving chicks to the brooder as soon as they were dry to prevent disturbance of the other eggs. Have fun its great to see them hatch 21 days seems so long!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by