Can I ask a really stupid question....?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krista74, Sep 4, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Just wondering (and yes, I'm being serious) how on earth eggs hatch when there is a big, fat, broody hen sitting on top of them?

I have seen eggs hatch in an incubator and it looks like the little chickies need a fair bit of room to wriggle and do their thing, and can't imagine how they do that when Momma is sitting on top of them.

I know they DO manage to do it, but I'm wondering how? Does she get off them to give them space? Or stand up at the appropriate times to 'free' them?

Sorry for asking such a newbie question. I'm on Day 19 and am now beginning to think about (hopefully) the next stage - successful hatching!

- Krista

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When the eggs start hatching most hens will elevate themselves slightly so that the chicks have 'wiggle room'.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have no experience with hatching < no roosters in the inn> , but Big Buff Orp goes broody often and when she sits, she tucks other's eggs under her wings. She doesn't really sit on them. If she has hoarded too many for armpits, the others are found at her sides. Guess that's how they do it.

4. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Interesting! Well, there you go!

As I said, I knew they managed to do it, I was just wondering how [​IMG]

I find the whole thing fascinating.

Wish me luck - 2 days to go!

- Krista

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I had the opportunity to watch my broody once who was so very good and allowed this inexperienced idiot to mess with her and still hatched all five eggs under her..[​IMG]

My observation was that she had the eggs positioned on either side of her breast for the most part, I rarely saw her laying right on top of them. when they started hatching she moved them more infrount of her (I could see atleast half of the egg.) I really don't think they bear all their weight down on those eggs, but instead are able to position them where they take only part of her weight.

6. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    I have hatched several clutches under a broody. Mine was a game bird mix on full size eggs. When I would reach under her to candle I notices that she had her feet spread out to the extent of covering the nest but leaving a crater in the center of free space so to speak

7. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I am so excited!

We are just starting Day 20 now and Broody is still firmly attached to her nest.

I have no idea if any of her eggs are good (candling points to viable, but who really knows). I am not counting my chickens until they hatch!

Hoping and praying that at least one makes it out alive, so that my beautiful Broody gets a reward for all her hard work.

- Krista

8. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Nothing is more heart warming then watching aomma with his chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by