Can I assume my eggs are fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beckyloveschicks, Jul 9, 2008.

1. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    I have several hens and a couple of roosters that all hang out together here on the farm. I want to try to hatch some of the many eggs I'm getting. Can I just assume my eggs are fertile? I know it won't hurt anything to try, right? I get my incubator tomorrow. At what point do I start candeling to check for viability?

Thanks in advance.

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Never assume anything!! However, they should be fertile. Try it and see. They say the earliest you should candle to see good development is 7 days. Good Luck.

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I usually candle at about 3 days to see if I see veins. By then i have noticed that in my fertile eggs there are VERY prominent veins. Just my experience.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    While you can candle on day three, it is not recommended. The first 4 days of the embyros life is the most delicate. You have more of a chance of them expiring early in the incubation.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    The only way to know is to try incubating them. Candle after 7 days and youll know.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
  7. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Quote:I personally have never had a problem with any of the ones I have done this with dying early, one of our local breeders told me to do it this way and I haven't had a problem. Guess it's just personal choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by