Can I be fixed? To cull or not to cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WyanLuv, Mar 1, 2009.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    It was born yesterday and it took a long time to dry. It was born with a bubble but, It looked like a light bulb. It's legs are funny, it bounces to walk. The bones for his legs stick out the sides under his wings. He has lots of energy. Not sure what I should do. Will he even out in a couple days, can I fix his legs? Please advise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    I would put the boots on them and try and get them to straighten. If you were closer I would try for you if you needed. Also what are they standing on now? It should be something that gives them traction not just a flat surface like newspaper. I will go see if I can find those directions....

try this thread...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72885&p=1

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Most definitely it can be fixed! Splint the feet with little boots made of MoleSkin (you can find it at your pharmacy, it's a super sticky bandaid). The boots should look kinda like a W, and sandwhich the foot between two layers of MoleSkin. Make sure to completely straighten the toes to teh bandaid. He'll chirp like it hurts, but he's ok. You will need to change the bandage every 3 days or whenever it starts to peel off. He should be good to go within a week or so. If he is having trouble walking, check the legs. You may have to gently pull them to get the tendons stretched.

4. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    ok, so if I attach the little booties to his feet, how do I fix how the feet turn inward?

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Cull it. [​IMG] That's my opinion, and you asked. Reason being that I don't believe it will be fixable, regardless of how you try to bandaid it up.

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Splint them with VetWrap above the hock. I had a chick worse than this two years ago... fixed him up good as new and you wouldn't even know he ever had leg problems.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I agree with the shoes too.
    If he's just for the backyard, he'll be fine...with bad feet or not.
    My Crowing Hen Slifer the Sky Dragon had 1 straight toe and she got around fine. She couldn't roost, but dang! She could beat feet across the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by