Can I borrow your incubator?- Oregon

lemurchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Corvallis, OR
I'm wondering if anyone has a reliable incubator that I could borrow. I would like to do a silkie hatch, hopefully hatching the week of July 13-19 (my nieces will be visiting), but if that isn't possible, anytime over the summer would be fine.

I'm happy to pay a small usage fee, I'll come pick it up and return it clean. I can put some money down as a refundable deposit if you want. I just don't want to buy an incubator for one hatch.

Thanks.

If you don't get a reply, try your County Agricultural/Extension Agency or Office...4-H clubs and your local library.....Those are places that loan out incubators...

Lemurchaser! Where have you been? I've got that stupid chicken bikini done but can't keep it on my chicken long enough to get a picture!! You wouldn't believe the greif I've put up with from my kids on this one! My oldest daughter graduated from Arizona State last week. She thinks she is so smart now and the redneck jokes are flyin!

Have you ever thought of making an incubator? I have made two with styrofoam ice chests, wire, a pie plate for water, a pane of glass from a picture frame, a heat lamp & thermometer. Miss Prissy has some really good instructions on one of her threads and they are really inexpensive to put together. I had everything except the thermostat. Just kept watching the temp and moved the whole chest either closer or farther away from the heat lamp that I had hung on a plant stand out side of the chest. I didn't put lamps on the inside like she did. On the smaller one I used the lid to my food dehydrator because it had an adjustable vent on top. I am home all day so I can moniter it regularly but I think she said the thermostat was only like $8.00. I do have a Hovabator but with multiple hatches going on, I switch eggs around all the time. I figure if a chicken can hatch an egg with no modern technology, so can I. At least I'd like to think I'm smarter than a chicken (even if I'm not smarter than my 5th grader!)

I'll take some pictures of mine to show you. I bet you could put one together in a snap!

Other Mother

I think if I don't find anything I'll try to make one. It looked pretty straight forward.

You HAVE to get pictures of the bikini. I've been dying to see it. It must be so cute.

Quote:
Well first off, what make you think you will beable to just do one hatch!
gig.gif

By the time you drive to get said incubator you will have spent as much as
it costs to buy one and have it sent to you.
ep.gif

Tell you what..I have a brand new LG 9200 Still Air (still in box but has been opened
to be sure it was there) never been used, without an egg turner, that I will
let you use for the high price of hatching me some chicks.

My only request is that the chicks are standard breeds. (Chicken Only)

How many you say... well that can be up to you... Ya see I am a really
really hard person to get along with!
old.gif
NOT lol

I will even meet you at Enchanted Forest on I-5...or better yet I think
I have to meet Tsgal @ the I-5 exit to Corvallis on the 30th maybe you
could meet us both there...? something we will have to work out between
us

John
old.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Well first off, what make you think you will beable to just do one hatch!
gig.gif

By the time you drive to get said incubator you will have spent as much as
it costs to buy one and have it sent to you.
ep.gif

Tell you what..I have a brand new LG 9200 Still Air (still in box but has been opened
to be sure it was there) never been used, without an egg turner, that I will
let you use for the high price of hatching me some chicks.

My only request is that the chicks are standard breeds. (Chicken Only)

How many you say... well that can be up to you... Ya see I am a really
really hard person to get along with!
old.gif
NOT lol

I will even meet you at Enchanted Forest on I-5...or better yet I think
I have to meet Tsgal @ the I-5 exit to Corvallis on the 30th maybe you
could meet us both there...? something we will have to work out between
us

John
old.gif

Oooh, intriguing deal. I have heard the LG's are tricky, have you heard good things about your model.

Do you have eggs that you would want me to hatch? Or would I need to find eggs to hatch for you? Layers? Broilers? etc. How many do you want? 5, 10, 20?

I'm definitely interested, that sounds fun. I just need a few more details.

I have never use a LG 9200 sill air and I too have heard they are
tricky. I think they are about as basic as you can get but you should
be able to play with it enuff to get the hang of it.

Layers please. You find the eggs and surprise me!
ep.gif

The number of chicks is up to you.

Any more q's?
wee.gif

John
old.gif

How about this? I'll come get the incubator on the 30th when you are nearby. I'll do a trial run right away of 12 or so eggs to see how well the hatch goes. You can have everything that hatches. If all goes well then I'll use it for the silkie hatch after that (and can throw in some more eggs for you if you want).

If I can't get it to work, then neither of us get chicks.
sad.png

Sound good?

hahaha! Go John go!

Yep I am a meeting John on the 30th and if you want could get you a couple of dozen fertile eggs from a farmer guy that I know. He keeps EE's and Buffs and Marans and others, but they are mutts cause they all range together and they are 3.00/dozen.
smile.png
smile.png

So let me know and I can bring them up with the Orphintons and BR rooster I am giving to John.
smile.png

Go Oregon!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom