Can I brake a past due egg in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken farmer, Aug 2, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I had 11 eggs in the incubator and only 1 hatched[​IMG] I was wandering if there is a (safe) way to crack the egg and see if there is any chick in there for 3 eggs its a day past and for the other eggs its 2 days past. And there just ameracauna mix eggs I took outta the coop from my chickens so not a big deal but want to know if there is any way I can brake the egg...thanks

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    There isn't really any safe way to break them that I'm aware of, if there is a live chick inside it can be harmful to the chick if you do try to "help" them hatch. Did you candle them? Has there been any movement or sound from them?

3. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    The eggs are brown so I cant see in them when i candle and I cant hear anything or see any hatching

4. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    What I did was scratch a small hole at the large end of the egg (where the air bubble is). I did this by scratching a X until a small hole formed in the middle of the X. Then I carefully opened a tiny hole in the shell, and carefully broke the membrane under it. Then I had a very small hole right at the bottom of the egg. I used a torch light to look through the hole and saw the chick breathing under its membrane. Since I knew it was still alive I put a small patch of wet toilet paper over the small hole and put it back. This is a pretty safe method since it doesn't harm the chick nor really interfere with it a lot. But you have to be 100% sure that the chick is late, if it was still in the embryonic stage it might get a bacterial infection and start rotting because of the hole. So if I were you I'd only try this on those 2 egg which are already two days too late. Give the others some more time. 1 out of 11 is a very low number and I'm sure if one chick made it there is another somewhere that will also make it.
    Good luck with your unhatched eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by