can I break her broody now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunket77, Dec 29, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Ok so the babies are 3 weeks old and since there are 13 we are running out of room fast! They are in a large dog crate. Momma bird is taking up the most room and getting the cage much dirtier than necessary! Is there any way to break her from being broody at this point and put her outside? The only pen I might could put them in has my 2 polish in it and I am not sure what they would do to the babies or if the broody would hurt them. Right now it's 54 degrees and raining so I just hate to have them out in the weather being back and forth like this. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

2. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    anyone?

3. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Is there room in the regular coop to partition off a portion? Mom can take care of the babies outside if she can keep out of the wind and weather. I have a brood box for the coop. It is 30"x30"x18" high. It is enclosed on all four sides and has a doorway that can be closed. There are 2x2's in the corners that are 24" tall. A piece of plywood is the top. I cover the 6" opening around the top of the walls with chicken wire for ventilation. Inside I put a layer of bedding. If the chicks are too large to all get under mom, I put a 60 watt bulb in the reflector that can hang from the top of the box. I drilled a hole in the plywood that a power cord can be fed through. I put the fixture in a corner of the box. Mom and babies can live in there for awhile. When the flock is use to the chicks (after several days), you can open the door and let mom and babies out to roam around. I also put cardboard boxes in the coop as hiding places for the babies. I cut openings in all four sides big enough for the chicks to get inside but not for the larger hens. The boxes are weighted down with bricks so they cannot be tipped over. The babies learn very quickly to hide from the hens if needed. At three weeks old the hens are really not that interested in hurting the chicks. Most moms are protective of their chicks. I have used this method for several years and have never lost a chick to members of the flock. It is really easier for mom to raise the babies. Good luck.

4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    thanks!
    what if I use the dog crate in the same way so they can get used to each other? One of the problems is that the run is made of a chain link dog kennel and the babies could walk right through. I may be able to put poultry netting around the bottom so they can't but it would be a task! thanks for sharing how you do things, that is always so helpful!

5. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    The dog crate will work fine if it is in a building (coop). They need to be out of the weather. My chicken yard (40x40) is fenced on two sides with kennel panels also. The chicks can get through the fence but seldom do because mom can't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by