Can I breed him with any of them, or will he be picky?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Next year I want 1 or 2 of my girls to be a mommy. Most definatley Daphne and the other will be random. Daphne is some sort of brahma and RIR cross. And the roos I have is a barred rock, cochin, and nhr. I want the barred rock to breed with her especially, because I would expect a unique color. Would a unique color or pattern come out?
    Will he breed with her if I left them alone for a few days or no? He doesn't interact a whole lot with them and he sticks around the barred rock hens rather then my mutts and cochins. And the mutts will chase the barred rock hens away when they eat (so the barred rocks eat last) but they don't do anything to the roo. From what I've observed, he normally waits a bit and then slowly starts eating from the feeder and then joins in with the rest of the mutts. Seems like the barred rock hens are really low in the pecking order. He has also tried to mount my blue longhorm cross, but she fought back... So he doesn't try with her anymore.
    What exactly do I have to do to get him to breed with Daphne? Or will he not? What if I want the cochin to breed with her?
    Please tell me how to be a breeder! [​IMG]

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    put them in a pen and let nature take its course. when you notice that she is laying fertilized eggs (the bulls eye) then he has done his deed if he is showing no interest in her right now you may have to limit his choices

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:How long do I keep them together? And how do I know the bullseye is there, from candling the egg(s)?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've got to ask. What in the heck is a blue longhorm?

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:How long do I keep them together? And how do I know the bullseye is there, from candling the egg(s)?

some times it can take a few weeks... and you will see the bullseye when you crack the eggs. Collect the eggs daily and mark on them which ones are from the breeding pen. when you use the eggs crack them into a bowl first and look for the bulls eye... its a tel tale sign of a fertilized egg...

I will look for the page where there are pics of the bulls eye and post the link for your reference

ETA: link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:She's a cross, I believe red longhorn and andalusian. Sorry for my mispelling I sometimes press the wrong keys. I just call her my blue leghorn cross, its shorter then andalusian.

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    longhorn leghorn i forgot which it is :|

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards

some times it can take a few weeks... and you will see the bullseye when you crack the eggs. Collect the eggs daily and mark on them which ones are from the breeding pen. when you use the eggs crack them into a bowl first and look for the bulls eye... its a tel tale sign of a fertilized egg...

I will look for the page where there are pics of the bulls eye and post the link for your reference

If I crack them then how can I put them into the incubator? I'm sorry I just don't know much.

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:some times it can take a few weeks... and you will see the bullseye when you crack the eggs. Collect the eggs daily and mark on them which ones are from the breeding pen. when you use the eggs crack them into a bowl first and look for the bulls eye... its a tel tale sign of a fertilized egg...

If I crack them then how can I put them into the incubator? I'm sorry I just don't know much.

once you see that they are fertile then thats when you start placing others in the bator but there is no sense putting eggs in the bator until you know if they are doing the deed. so you sacrifice an egg or 2

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have one hen that dares my big roo to try and mate her. Nearly three years old and I don't think he's succeeded yet. The look she gives him when he wing dances clearly tells him that to try would be a mistake. [​IMG]

Other than this one strange hen, she's weird in other ways too, I don't think my hens are too picky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by