can i breed true barred turkins w/this match?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Living Farm, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok, I have a barred trukin hen. She was the result of a Barred Rooster and a pure Turkin Hen.

I have since hatched out chicks from her where the rooster is a RIR.

Now the chicks were pretty unifored sex links. I got solid black, solid black with white dots, and then I got Naked necks both solid black and black with white dot. I got one somehow that is a naked neck but looks just like a RIR. (Strange)

Anyways, if I cross one of her offsprings (rooster, barred), what is the possibility I will get barred turkins that hatch or do you think it will be a 50/50 mix and several generations of crossing before pure.

I have not seen Barred Turkins which is why I am asking. Is there a demand for them or am I just wasting my time. They are pretty cool looking so I might do it just for fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
  2. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    anyone???

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If my memory serves me correctly, you would need a barred female to a solid male. Then take the f1 barred males back to the barred female. I could be wrong though

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

You ought to be able to make barred "turkens" easily enough. But don't they have a proper standard in US, or are they just any bird with a naked neck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by