Can I bring my month old coturnix quail chicks outside to "play"?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MelissaRose, May 20, 2019.

1. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    Hello all!
    I have four, month- five week old coturnix quail chicks and I am wondering if I can bring them outside to play. I usually bring my chicken chicks outside when they're about two weeks old and I sit with them and let them scratch in the grass and find bugs etc.
    Can I do the same thing with my quail?
    Right now they are living inside in a brooder. They are going to move outside sometime soon when we finish their hutch. I thought it might be good for them to get used to outside and I bet they would enjoy hunting for bugs. If I don't have a cage and I just bring them out and sit next to them like I do with my chicks, will they just run/fly away?
    Thanks in advance.

007Sean and HuffleClaw like this.
  2. Evelyn Walker

Evelyn Walker Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    That's not a very good idea-you'll probably never see them again. I don't suggest letting them out unless you are positive you can catch them again afterwards (a net is helpful). Coturnix sure can fly!

007Sean likes this.
  3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Personally I would not allow my quail to be outdoors without a cage, they are FAST little buggers! Unless you’ve really tamed these birds, it’s highly likely you won’t be able to catch them and they will fly or run off to be gotten by predators.

007Sean and Sara L like this.
  4. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I'd rather not lose them because they are pets and will be egg layers.
    No, I have not tamed them very much and they run away from me when they escape in the house so....I guess I better not bring them outside.

5. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    Would it be ok to give them a pan with dirt in it? That way they could stay in their brooder and enjoy some dirt?

RUNuts, 007Sean and HuffleClaw like this.
  6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    That’s perfectly fine. I’m sure they’d love that :)

007Sean and MelissaRose like this.
  7. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    Ok, that's what I'll do then! Thank you for the advice. I will let everyone know how they react to their dirt. They'll probably go crazy.

8. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    As everyone has stated, not a good idea to put them outside without a cage. Putting a box of dirt in their broader will make them happy.

MelissaRose and HuffleClaw like this.
  9. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Quail are probably the absolute lowest critter on the food chain, I mean, everything loves to eat quail!

MelissaRose likes this.
  10. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Quail should ALWAYS be contained when outside, or you'll lose them. You could put them in a big dog cage and set that outside, but they need supervision in anything not predator-proofed.

MelissaRose likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: