Can I build a new coop on an old buggy coop location?

TravelingWillow

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 27, 2016
Pennsylvania
Background-
We just bought a home that came with 7 chickens and a filthy mite and lice infested coop. I tried and tried and tried to get them and coop clean but 3 chickens died the first week. Now I know why the previous owner "generously" offered to leave the chickens. The remaining chickens went to live w/ my MIL as I couldn't get them healthy in that coop!! She's been able to treat them and they are rallying!

I plan to tear down and BURN the current coop.

Question- can I rebuild in the same location? Can I treat the ground or is it just contaminated? The current location has power and water and great shade and no flooding- the perfect spot- so I really want to reuse the spot if I can.

Thanks for all input!

YES! You sound right on target there with burning it down! I would then treat the area with lime and diatomaceous earth (Also just called DE).

The following I gleaned off the web so I can't take credit for it but it's good information;

"Bird mites" or "Tropical fowl mites" are the common names used to describe the mite Ornithonyssus bursa from the family of mites Macronyssidae; these mites are often incorrectly called ‘bird lice’, particularly within the pest control industry, and are also commonly the cause of ‘paper mite’ problems (strictly speaking there are no such things as ‘paper mites’). This species of bird mite is widely distributed throughout warmer regions of the world. The mites are haematophagous (feed on blood) natural parasites of common birds including pigeons, starlings, sparrows, Indian mynahs, poultry, and some wild birds. Ornithonyssus bursa mites are small with eight legs, barely visible to the eye, oval in shape with a sparse covering of short hairs, and are extremely mobile. They are semitransparent in color which makes them difficult to detect on skin until blood is ingested and then digested - when they may appear reddish to blackish.

The mites remaining in the abandoned nest, and left without a suitable host when the birds leave or die, will roam and disperse throughout the dwelling over a 1-2 week period searching for new hosts. Most mites will die within 10 days without a blood meal from a bird host. They will bite but cannot survive on humans and do not infect/infest human skin.

Thanks!
DE I have. BIG bags left over from the failed attempts to eradicate the infestation.

I have baby chicks now so I'll wait 2 weeks before I tear down and burn so as not to inadvertently bring a mite into their brooder. Currently they are a week old and in the guest bathroom. :).

I'd burn it now, as is(without tear down), right where it sits, that should kill them all.
Leave the ash set there for a couple weeks.
DE won't do anything, save it to use as a preventative in new coop.

Last edited:
Aart- if only I could skip the tear down labor!!
It has electricity and water so I have to dismantle it first. Also- it's under quite a few trees with lower branches that I don't want to scorch.
It's big-8 X 8 and additional run. That would be a big fire! I get too nervous and prefer to burn little piles- I feel safer that way!

Aart- if only I could skip the tear down labor!!
It has electricity and water so I have to dismantle it first. Also- it's under quite a few trees with lower branches that I don't want to scorch.
It's big-8 X 8 and additional run. That would be a big fire! I get too nervous and prefer to burn little piles- I feel safer that way!
Ah yes....bummer...many good reasons.
Could go gungho with pesticide, permethrin or something more potent, before starting the demo.

Back
Top Bottom