Can I butcher and eat a chicken that has loose stool.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ericnash, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ericnash

ericnash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Can I butcher and safely consume a chicken that had loose stool? I have 4 roosters and they have to go because I live in a village that does not permit them. What do you think?

2. BoomChickaRocka

BoomChickaRocka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    how old?

3. ericnash

Jun 13, 2011
    11 weeks

4. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    I wouldn't.[​IMG] From everything I've read, it indicates disease or parasites. I'd play it safe.

5. ericnash

Jun 13, 2011
    I don't know what to do with them. I can't kill them, just to kill them. I want their lives to have had a purpose

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What do you mean by loose stool? Chicken poo has a large range of what is normal. I find that their poop tends to be more watery especially when it is hot out.

7. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I would not have a problem with it. After all, people go duck and goose hunting all the time, and eat what they kill - without ever knowing if it had a cough or loose stools or anything like that when it was alive. As long as while processing it everything looks and smells fine, I'd eat it.

But to each their own, of course.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

are the birds healthy otherwise?.. if so then it's probably due to the heat... I would process them and send them to freezer camp so long as all the internal goodies looked healthy

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    If they are breathing fine, and there isn't really anything strange about the stool other than being "loose", I'd call it normal and eat away. My layers range the gamut of "poo" and all of it is normal (no blood or anything, but normal poo).

Check the guts to ensure they look normal (lungs are nice and pink, liver is deep red/brown, no lacerations or whatnot on the guts).

10. ericnash

Jun 13, 2011
    That is a good point about game hunting. I didn't realize that chickens had different ranges of feces. I thought it was supposed to be consitant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by