Can I clean eggs before I incubate them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maryallison, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Can I at least rinse the eggs with some warm water before I put them in the incubator??? My DH said not to clean them, but a few are really dirty [​IMG]... I bought them yesterday and I was gonna get them in the incubator tonight. [​IMG]

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i don't think your supposed to. it removes the benificial bacteria from the shell.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    You know, I used this as my research project in my poultry science class this semester. I washed 10 eggs with commercial egg wash and the others I didnt. I incubated them in the same bator, on the same rack and got all but one egg to hatch from the washed eggs. Its best NOT to wash them, but if you must use warm water so the egg contents dont contract and suck the water full of bacteria back into the egg. Try not to scrub the junk into the shell as well, try to loosen it up with water and rub it off gently with a paper towel.

4. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Thanks, think I will just rinse the really really dirty 1.....just plain warm water outta get it cleaner than it is right now

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    No problem, I hope you have a great hatch. [​IMG]

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have cleaned up some really dirty eggs I got and I had 14 out of 15 hatch that the person I got them from washed them befor giveing them to me, I dont recomend washing but if you really want to set and egg and its really mucky then go for it.

How is youre baby quail?

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by