Can I combine chicks from two different suppliers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coffee4Me, May 25, 2010.

1. Coffee4Me

Coffee4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    I have an order at our local co-op for eight Bovan Brown chickens. They are supposed to arrive on the 23rd of June. Since I placed that order I have found some other varieties of chickens that I would like. They are two days old today. I'd like to reduce my order of Browns to two and get six of the other ones in the next day or two.
    How would I go about combining these chicks that will be about 3 weeks apart in age?
    Thanks!

2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I did it last year. They are all great pals now.

3. Coffee4Me

Coffee4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Someone told me that I needed to keep them separated, so they don't share bacteria. Have you heard of that?

4. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    this spring i went crazy buying chicks every few weeks a few where more then 3weeks apart and they where fine

5. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    thats how mine are....the older ones are the ones that get picked on. LOL

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

In the chick stage, combining the two "flocks" with only a 2-3 month age difference is okay, and I've done it myself without misadventure or misfortune.

It's when you introduce new chickens to established flocks that you need to quarantine the newcomers - recommended time is 30 days, and then put them through "visible segregation" when quarantine is over.

7. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i think that if they are only 3 weeks apart then they will be fine. they will probably have a few squabbles at first but then be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by