Can I comfortably house more chickens?

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Good morning and HAPPY FRIDAY. I currently have 8 BO hens and 1 BO roo in a 6ft x 8ftx(8 feet tall) coop attached to a 20ft x 20ft run. I would like to add a few chickens...different breeds. Do I have enough space for a few more?

I am building a small coop and run to house my "hatched, growing up birds" that will be; coop 4ft x 6ft and a run that will be 10x10. However, I would like to be able to integrate all the grown birds together.

Just trying to be prepared. Any advise is appreciated.
celebrate.gif

I have read any where from 2 sq. ft. to 4 sq. ft. per chicken is the space that should be allowed for chicken in the coop, and 10 sq. ft per chicken in the run. I use the 4 sq. ft. number just to be safe in my coop. I've not had any pecking problems. Based on the measurements you gave for your coop you could house 12 chickens in there if you used 4 sq. ft./chicken.

I know a lot of people on here are set in their ways about sq. footage per bird. I base the number I can fit on the birds themselves. I have more birds in my coop than I should if I followed the sq. footage. But my birds are healthy and they aren't picking at eachother due to lack of space. They are only in the coop at night and on super rainy days when I prefer not to let them out. Hope this helps.

You can tell when there's too many. The hens are grouchy, pecky, the place gets really nasty really fast. Mahlz is right, if they are out of the coop most of the time, they'll be fine. But remember winter....

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to put 3 or 4 more in there, esp. with a great run like that and not living where winters are too bad. And I prefer more than the 4/10 sq ft recommendation. I imagine yours go out just about every day of the year, as mine do.

I am a firm advocate for the 4 sq. feet per chicken rule inside the coop. And, making sure that you are allowing extra footage for feeders and waterers and nest boxes, if applicable. This is especially important if there is ever a possibility of them being locked inside the coop for even one day. (usually weather related reasons)

I had exactly the amount of chickens that I was "allowed" per the 4 sq. ft rule and had to lock up my chickens for a day due to a snow storm. They were pecking at each other by the end of that day! I learned that day how important it is to have fewer birds than more. Don't push your space - it's just better to have happy chickens than to take a chance on pecking issues.

My 5 cents worth...
wink.png

Good question. I agree with having EXTRA room for the chickens rather then less (if you are using the square ft rules)
thumbsup.gif

But it still sounds like you can add 4 more to your current layout!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom