Can I complain here for a minute?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, Aug 31, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok, here is the deal. We are currently contact employees working for Administration for the local transit agency. The Board has voted to bring Admin in house. In other words we will be employees of the agency instead of the contractor. So we all get reapply for our jobs. Not much worry no one else will have my experience.

Ok, the boss saddled me with Human Resources because I have alot of experience in that area. I have to say I have about 90% knowledge that someone with a degree would have, and it is that 10% that is KILLING me.

Google is useless for:

Setting up a deferred compensation plan
    Telling me what is legally defined as part time in California
    Offering a good explanation as to what CalPERS really is
    How you, as an employer need to treat individuals with AIDS
    Does a public agency fall under FMLA laws even if they do not have 50 employees

And on and on and on.

I am having dreams about IRS codes and Human Resource manuals. [​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    QUICKLY find a friend in the field and run a crash course. Sorry for you [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

Cindi my life is HELL right now - competing for my own job AND writing the manual for someone else who may get my job? Ok not realistic but still a worry.

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Deb, I thought you were going to complain about me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

Quote:Why because you are nuts?

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Um..... something like that...... [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

Quote:[​IMG] I love BYC and FB for the stress relief I get!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry... you are one smart cookie and you'll figure it all out... AND write the manual!

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    There are supposed to be government phone numbers you can call for the state info you need. As for how to treat a person with HIV/AIDS, I think those guidelines are on some Calif state website, but my brain is melting and I can't find the link.

10. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    dont know if any of this will help or not.. im sur eyou knwo this, but whatever info given at least can lead you to documents that you can look up on your own and make sure you have the latest revisions, etc.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/aids/Documents/RPT2010_01HIVAIDSLaws2009.pdf

fmla :

http://are.berkeley.edu/APMP/pubs/lmd/html/fall_93/calfollmo.html

"The new bill, AB 1460, makes changes in almost every major area of Cal-FMLA. In particular:

Employee Eligibility. Under both federal and California law, employees are now eligible to take family and medical leave (other than pregnancy disability leave) if they have been employed for more than 12 months and have at least 1,250 hours of service. Previously, the state law covered employees if they had 12 months of service and were eligible for at least one other benefit. Employers are not required to allow such leave to persons working in a location with fewer than 50 employees within a 75-mile radius. Thus, a vegetable producer with 70 workers in Santa Maria and 35 in Blythe would have to provide the leave to the employees in Santa Maria, but not to those in Blyth. Employees continue to be eligible for pregnancy disability leave under the Fair Employment and Housing Act, regardless of length of service or number of hours worked, as long as the employer has 5 or more employees.
    "

full time is stated in LABOR CODE
    SECTION 500-558

full time is described by 40 hours per week, however im not sure if that covers a consistant average of over 36 hours a week that some states do. maybe if you are armed with that labor code section you may call the dept of labor for information.

just a link tot he calpers website.. so tired already as my eyes hurt to read more LOL
    http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/about/home.xml

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by