Can I convert a tractor & use deep litter method?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ambersparks, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ambersparks

ambersparks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    I have a 4' x 4' tractor from coopsforyou.com and I am considering adding a 4' x 4' extension to make it 4' x 8' and then leave it in a more permanent spot, maybe moving it every so often. Not on my lawn but on the side yard or something. Can I put gravel on the ground under it and use the deep litter method? I'm just getting tired of moving it around my lawn and my lawn is a mess. With four little kids it's not pretty! [​IMG] Any advice would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

Amber
    mama to four children, four chickens, 1 dog and 1 fish

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well you still have to make sure that preditor can't dig undernieth and get to the chicken.
    And removing the gravel when you decide to move the coop will be a fun job.

3. ambersparks

Jul 27, 2008
    Thank you for the advice! True about the gravel... so maybe I'll just leave it in one spot. So far I haven't had a problem with predators but we move the coop about twice a week. I guess I'll have to do some predator proofing too huh? I'm just wondering if this is really feasible or if I just need to break down and build a coop. [​IMG]
    Amber
    mom to four children, four chickens, one dog and one fish

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had never had any problem with preditors until lately I went away for a couple of hours and left the chicken in a fenced in area of the yard and when I came home one was dead. There were dog like tracks around it so I'm not sure if it was a dog, coyote or a fox.

5. ambersparks

Jul 27, 2008
    Oh, how sad! [​IMG] I'm sorry!

Maybe gravel would not be necessary? But I probably would have to do some kind of predator proofing. My main question is if keeping in one spot and using the deep litter method is a good idea or not?!! I let them out daily in good weather to run around too.
    Thank you!!
    Amber
    mama to four children, four chickens, 1 dog and 1 fish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by