1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can I covert my sideporch into a coop/enclosure?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fluffy-nut, Mar 26, 2009.

1. fluffy-nut

fluffy-nut New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    I want to get 3-4 bantam hens and I would love to convert a covered 20'x5' porch into an enclosure+coop.The porch is on my shady side with a door that opens into a mudroom.Is this too close for odor issues?I would like to try dlm with it.Has anyone heard of this?I'm lost-help!

2. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    20x5= about 100 square feet so it should be plenty of room,even if you put a 4x5 coop in. 3-4 bantams = about 16 square feet in coop and 40 feet in a run.

All in all, should work.

EDIT: should not have very many odor problems if you keep it mildy clean(except for litter:))
    [​IMG] WELCOME TO BYC!![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  3. fluffy-nut

fluffy-nut New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    hi, thanks!I live in upstate NY so it would be protected from the bitter wind.I would only have to build two sides and put down a floor.I have to incorporate two windows into my kitchen though, I could keep an eye on them from inside?

4. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    Yes you probanly could do that, they might jump up and try and roost on though, maybe:lol:

Can't say the same for myself, live a plane where temps drop below zero on average+ wind chill.

what kind of bantams are you thinking of getting or already have?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would not try to do deep litter in a coop attached to the house, personally (not if you mean the damp pooey composting version of deep litter -- simply having your litter *be* deep, but cleaned frequently, would not be such an issue). You can try it but be prepared for bugs, mice and rot. You may have an extra mouse problem with the coop attached to the house *anyway*.

Other than that, if it is just going to be a few banties and you understand that chickens produce lots of dander-y greasy dust, I don't see any obvious problems with the idea. You might want to do the conversion in a 'gentle' way so that if you change your mind later and want to move the chickens elsewhere, you haven't schmucked up your porch too much [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by