Can I create an Ancona???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well ive always wanted them and since someone said that they originated from a runner x magpie I was wondering.........

Could I create them?????

I read on here:
    http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7958678

And it think it would be cool if I could . I have a few birds who actualy meet most if not all the requirements. Il post pictures later.

But what do you guys think? Im not very good with genetics.... so ... Help?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Why not create the ford model T?

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Why not create the ford model T?

For fun?

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Awww come on peeps, I cant speak the language if I dont even know what were talking about [​IMG]

And I was jusr curious because if I could then I wouldnt have to spent $50 a bird or $25 for a mutt

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i had anconas and i paid 25 for them all 8 of my old ones and they were pure i didnt really like them but i know a guy that has them he has one of my pairs and he might sell eggs

and creating them would take a while to make them look like the real deal and all

6. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had Anconas. I now only have the mixes I hatched out. I love them as a breed. Their spots are just the cutest. We have our order in for the spring to get more. They come in several colors. You could try hatching out some of your own. It certainly isnt going harm anything! We have buff ancona mixes now. They are awfully cute! They are great egg layers! Holderreads sells babies. I believe for exhibition quality, the ducklings were $7 each.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I just think they are so pretty! and I have always wondered what I could get after a few generations of Anconas x Magpies.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I think you should do it, Goat_Walker! I'd be interested in seeing your results also.

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    go for it i want to see the babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Sure! You don't even have to buy two breeds. Go to a breeder of Magpies and ask to buy their cull ducklings. Twala! You have Anconas! Read the breed profile on Ancona and select ducklings from your start of Ancona (cull magpies) that most fit the Ancona description and you'll be good as gold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by