can i deworm and antibiotic at the same time?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cedarcroft, Nov 6, 2011.

1. cedarcroft

cedarcroft Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Hi - got some new chickens & the seller recommended worming them so i got piperazine52. The new birds are in isolation. Thought i'd do my whole flock with the dewormer, why not, even though i never have. Coincidentally a resident hen got a goopy eye today so my question is, can i dose everyone with the piperazine and oxytetracycline at the same time? My idea was to deworm the whole flock (new & resident) at the same time then super-clean my barn. If i have 1 goopy-eye hen then i want to dose the whole flock with antibots just to be safe. They're in moult anyway, not laying. Sick hen is isolated. Also, i've got turkeys, ducks & chickens, all run together, & drink the same water. Neither the piperazine nor the oxytretracycline packets talk about ducks - will either one kill my ducks? i can separate the ducks and if i don't hear from you, i will coop them up separate just to be safe, would appreciate any advice, many thanks!

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Hey guys, did i post under the wrong topic? I surely need an answer. A few have read but no-one replies.
    p.s. I separated the ducks, they will have no chem of either kind. Thanks so much for any advice,

3. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I'm doind colloidal silver while de-worming. I've had good luck with it for my infections, cheap and no side-affects...

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I don't like to do more than one asault on their immune system at the same time. I would do one first, then the other...why are you giving antibiotics?

5. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    To treat any secondary infections, and it's not an antibiotic exactly... just an immune support... silver is very gentle..

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by