Can I divide inside of incubator to keep eggs separate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by InsaneBreeder, Sep 29, 2010.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I have eggs from three different flocks in my incubator, and I am wanting to know if I can make dividers to keep them separate so I'll know which is which. If this is possible, could I use metal screen? Or some other material?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would just mark the eggs with a sharpie marker to identify the different breeds.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I did it before in my little giant. Made a divider out of house screen just tall enough to keep the eggs separate, but low enough so it does not hit the heating element. I have also heard of people using the strawberry baskets from the super market.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Don't use a sharpie on the eggs. Use a pencil, but you can separate the eggs in mesh baskets. I have seen it done using 1/4 inch hardware cloth that has been cut and bent to form a basket. There is enough space in the basket for hatching and it keeps the chicks grouped together.

5. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Okay thanks, I will try that!

justbugged, I have already marked all the eggs, but once they hatch (which is usually when I am asleep), I will have no way to know which chick came from which egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by