can I do something to make them lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeypoo, Nov 28, 2009.

1. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They went through a molt and should be done by now.. but i have NO eggs. how frustrating. with all the hens i have.. can't i have one egg? ugh. anyway, is there something i can do to kick start them? besides lighting?

Thanks
    Sue

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Lay Pellets!!!

3. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    huh? what's that?
    Sue

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I think birdaholic meant "layer pellets" or layer feed. But that won't "make" them lay as such, though it does provide all the nutrients that they need to lay (except sometimes being a little short on calcium).

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    did you give them extra protein when they were molting? if not try that maybe it will jump start their system as they really can use the extra protein at that time. I also heard Cayanne pepper in their feed helps [​IMG] and yes they will need the 12 hours of light too [​IMG]

6. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    i give them everything we don't eat for veggies and peels and eggs, and shells and all that. maybe i will be buying some cayenne today when i out and about lol:) they do get layer feed. i've never had them take this long laying. and i was hoping they'd start laying as i want to do some holiday baking.. baked goods just aren't the same with store eggs. lol. and no one around me really has any chickens. ugh.

Sue

7. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Yes. Read them stories from Betty Crocker's cookbook.

~Cherlyn

8. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    should i include the ones for Poultry recipes? haha a little scare tactic?

Sue

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  9. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I'd give them a couple of handfuls of cat food every day to increase protein as AHappyChick said. More protein should jump start their system. Don't over feed cat food - it's not good to give them too much. Try it for a week, add light and see if that helps. I give my seven layers 1 handful of cat food every morning.

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  10. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Yes, protein can help them after (or during) molting. Besides the regular layer feed, a little cat food, extra bits of meat or fish scraps, a small amount of calf manna, a handful of black oil sunflower seeds, some nutritional yeast, a slice of tofu, some cooked lentils or split peas, a scoop of live mealworms...whatever you have on hand that can pack a little protein punch. You don't have to overdo it, but a hen won't lay an egg, unless she HAS an egg inside her to lay. At this time of year and especially after a molt, her egg-laying mechanism sometimes needs a nutritional boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by