1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I Do This?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jan336, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone know if I can dry out store bought egg shells and crush them to feed for a laying hen? I already am aware of the risks of feeding egg shells to hens, with the risk of them eating their own eggs. But If I crush them small enough into a grain it should be okay? Just a bad winter storm here and no way to local feed store for oyster shells. Is there any dangers in feeding "Store Bought" egg shells?

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I'd bake them first and then crush them. I think it would be just fine. [​IMG]

3. Jan336

Bake the eggs whole? LOL Would it not be easier to boil them?

4. WingingIt

Apr 16, 2009
    No, just the empty shells! Sorry, wasn't clear enough. I was thinking you were going to use the eggs in baking or something and would have the wet shells left to deal with. If you're going to boil the eggs, then after peeling the eggs dry and crush them before giving them to your hens, should be just fine.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. Jan336

Can I not offer hard boiled inner parts? Seems that would be alot of protein, or is there risk?

6. WingingIt

Apr 16, 2009
    You absolutely can! They will LOVE it!!!!

7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    You bet , just grab the potato masher an mash 'em whole. Saves peeling.

8. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    You can feed eggshells to chickens ... I don't crush, bake or anything else ... just throw them in with the rest of the kitchen 'scraps.' And, no, it does not promote egg-eating.

9. Jan336

what about canned tuna? [​IMG]

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If they're eggs from the store, though, I'd bake the empty shells before feeding them to the chickens. Just in case they're carrying any bacteria in the eggs.

Canned tuna is okay to feed them, too.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by