Can I Do This???????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lauriruth, May 11, 2011.

1. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

ok you peeps with knowledge more than mine! I got 3 new chickies this morning. [​IMG]
    it just so happens that my BO just went Broody on me.
    CAN I PUT THEM UNDER HER AND SEE IF SHE'LL RAISE THEM?
    She's never been a mom before.
    if this is a feasible task, do i need to move her to the smaller coop, away from the rest of the flock? i have 4 other adult hens.
    thanks for your help!
    Lauri

2. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I would give it a try & see how she reacts to them. But I would definitely recommend supervising her for quite some time.

3. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    If she Just went broody I wouldn't put them under her, I think they have an inner clock so to speak and you will mess her up if you give her babies already, does that makes sense? If she has been broody for a couple /few weeks then put them under her at night and take the eggs, but sounds like she just started.

4. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

she's been on those golf balls for about a week.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Slip those chicks her at night- and watch for a few minutes. You can usually tell right away if she will accept the babies or not. Check on them early in the morning. I keep my broody in a wire cage, with access to food and water, inside the coop. That way she and the chicks are safe from everyone but still a part of the flock. After a couple of days I open the door and let her take care of the rest. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by