1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can i eat a chicken that was killed by a rabed fox.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmgirl35, Oct 28, 2015.

1. farmgirl35

farmgirl35 New Egg

Oct 28, 2015
    I know that seems like a crazy question, but I've a fox that is slaughtering my chickens left and right. It seems the same shame to waste a good chicken, or what's left of it. Would be safe to eat it if I boiled it ?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If the fox is indeed rabid, I wouldn't risk it. I'm sorry about your fox problems. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  3. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

What makes you think the Fox is rabid? Have you seen it? Foxes will kill and kill again...as long as they can get to the birds and nothing deters them...they will wipe out the whole flock...if it's truly rabid you don't want it around you or your birds...if you see it during the day and it doesn't seem to be afraid of you...maybe comes toward you..It might well be rabid...I wouldn't eat the dead birds or handle them anymore then I had to...incinerate them if possible...rabies is not something to be treated lightly...it sounds like it's on the rise in some areas...heard about some instances lately in New York state...raccoons attacking in broad daylight.

4. hotmessJess

hotmessJess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    If you remove the bite wound, cook to 165f, and handle as you would any other food safety issue, you will not get rabies. But, ew.

5. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Rabies can be spread from just the saliva getting on your skin. If the fox is truly rabid, use gloves or a pitchfork to handle the chicken carcass, and dispose of it.

1 person likes this.
  6. hotmessJess

hotmessJess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Western NC

Rabies won't go through unbroken skin, but can enter through touching mucous membranes, though very rare. So yes, gloves are always a safe bet!

7. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Ah, ok. Good to know.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You are right on the money. Common sense and the advice of my local animal control officer dictate that this is how to handle any animal suspected of being rabid.

In the OP's situation, I doubt that the fox is rabid. It is just helping itself to an unprotected food source and will continue to do so until the flock is secured.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Agreed. Also, just seeing them during the day does not indicate rabies. They - like most predators - are opportunists and will eat whenever and wherever they can find an easy meal.
    OP, you might want to consider securing your birds for awhile if they're being slaughtered left and right. As long as that fox can get to them, it'll keep coming back. And if a fox can get them, so can other animals.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Your response is entirely uncalled for. You don't need to be rude.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by