Can I eat an egg that was left in the coop for a few hours on a hot day and has a crack in it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jflower, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jflower

jflower Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2013
    One of my hens was squawking so loud today for several hours! She has never done this before, so I thought she might be laying her first egg. I kept checking, but no egg, and I had an appointment to go to. I told my son to check the coop regularly while I was gone and he said he did. However, when I got back from my appointment, there was an egg in the coop! I am guessing it was there for a while because it was warm. It also has a crack/hole in the shell. Is it still good to eat?[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I wouldn't eat it. If it has just been hot outside, maybe I would have, but because there is a crack in it, I wouldn't eat it.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't eat it if I were you, bacteria could've already contaminated the egg. If you have been feeding your hens medicated feed you should wait awhile until all that coccidiosis medication stuff is gone from their body.

4. jflower

jflower Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2013
    I don't feed them medicated feed, but I think I'll play it safe and not eat this one. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by