Can I eat eggs from a possibly infected flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SqueakyRoseShalom, Jul 16, 2011.

1. SqueakyRoseShalom

SqueakyRoseShalom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have isolated a hen who has worms, and I am treating her. The rest of my flock does not have any symptoms of worms (comb and wattles have full color, brown poops, good energy, etc.) except that I have noticed a reduction in egg production. Should I not eat the eggs? I have not treated the rest of the flock with anything.

2. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

If you have not treated them , the eggs will be safe to eat. There are many reasons for reduced egg production, including stress, and excessive heat.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The one you treated with the wazine, there's a 14 day slaughter withdrawal. If the chicken is good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs. I recommend that you worm all your chickens at once.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. SqueakyRoseShalom

Mar 17, 2011
    ok, Dawg 53- YOU WERE RIGHT! I went ahead and wormed my whole flock and 5 out of 6 poops were full of worms! None of them were even acting sick! Hopefully I caught it in time. I guess that's the point- to catch it before they get sick. Thanks, man!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You're welcome. Now all you have to do is reworm them in 10 days with a different wormer. The worms you are seeing are large roundworms, that's what wazine treats. There are many other types of worms that chickens get and wazine wont kill them. I recommend you buy Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole.)
    Valbazen dosage is orally, 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens.
    Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards and 1/4cc for smaller chickens.
    You can use a syringe without a needle to dose them. If your feed store doesnt carry these wormers, you can order them from Jefferslivestock.com or call them.
    If you use either of these wormers, there is a 14 day withdrawal period. Good luck.

6. SqueakyRoseShalom

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks again, Dawg! My sick hen won't eat unless I'm holding her and putting her beak in yogurt, but I can't just do this all day. Any ideas? I don't want her to starve herself!

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:Yogurt is not your best option for a sick chicken. Try cooked scrambled eggs.

8. SqueakyRoseShalom

Mar 17, 2011
    She won't eat scrambled eggs. i tried for three days in a row, both leaving it in her cage and holding her and bringing it up to her beak. She is not interested at all. Now that I know that almost my whole flock had worms, is there any reason why I need to keep her isolated? I have to wonder if she misses her friends...

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Go ahead and put her back with the others. When she sees the others eating, she'll probably do the same.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by