Can I eat eggs from hens that have eaten medicated chick feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zaxby's2, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Okay, so I've been giving my hens starter/grower feed along with oyster grit, and it's worked great. Yesterday we accidentely got the wrong bag of feed, and it's medicated starter/grower. It says the active drug ingredient is bacitracin methylene disalicylate. I have no idea what that means. Can we eat the eggs from our hens if they eat this?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I bought some hens and feed bags came with them. I have been mixing in the chick starter in small (very small) quantities to get rid of it but not risking our health.

Just what I am doing. I mix my own feed and don't like the commercial stuff usually unless it is organic!

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Purina says that you will be fine, that amprolium stays in the gut and does not get into the eggs. Do you trust them?

4. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I guess so. [​IMG] Is that what the medication in my bag of feed is?

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    It's safe enough for tiny baby chickens, it better be safe enough for you to eat the eggs.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
  7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Zaxby's2 :

Okay, so I've been giving my hens starter/grower feed along with oyster grit, and it's worked great. Yesterday we accidentely got the wrong bag of feed, and it's medicated starter/grower. It says the active drug ingredient is bacitracin methylene disalicylate. I have no idea what that means. Can we eat the eggs from our hens if they eat this?

I checked that Feed Additive Compendium, there is no withdrawal period for Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate (BMD) in laying hens fed between 4 and 25 grams per ton. Higher levels are approved for use in broilers and replacement pullets.

Jim​

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    No problem. Go ahead and eat 'em!

9. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Yay! Thanks, this is great news. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by