1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I eat it if they are still on med feed - pefect and we ate it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbounds10, Aug 8, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My 21 wk BR has been in the nest box for about an hour now, not sure if there will be an egg in there when she comes out but if there is, can I eat it? They are still on medicated starter/grower but mixed the last 5 lbs or so with the layer feed. Should I pull out what is left in the feeder and replace with straight layer feed if she lays?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You would think not, but think back before you had chickens and were buying them at the store. You now ask yourself,what was in those store bought eggs anyhow? I think there is trace amount of med in the egg but compared to store bought,scramble away. My girls were eating a toad there other day,now that freaks me out more than an egg with med in it. Waiting to crack an egg and see a toad leg in it!! [​IMG]

4. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] no wait, I mean [​IMG]

5. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    and BTW - It DID happen, she layed a beautiful brown egg! A little crack in it, but I stuck it in the fridge and will crack and eat tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Congrats!

7. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Well - as soon as the DH got home today we scrambled it up! Just a little salt and pepper and it was fantastic!
    I weighed it last night and it was 1.75 oz (US Medium). Pretty good for her first try!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by