Can I eat my dead Cornish rock?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jennbuker, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jennbuker

jennbuker New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    I've been raising meat birds - they go to slaughter in 3 weeks. I went to let them into their yard this morning and I found a dead on on the floor. There was a small spot of blood on her head near her eye / ear, but other than that she looks fine! She's still warm - and no rigor mortis has set in - so I'm assuming it happened very recently. Do you think she's safe to process & eat?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I wonder if she ate herself to death? I didn't unplug their light last night (it was raining HARD - bad excuse - I know....) and they still had food in their feeder....

Jenn

2. John Chicken GB

John Chicken GB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Britain
    Quote:Rather you than me Buddy ! lol

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I wouldn't eat it. I'm sure there are others who will jump in with more experience, but not knowing the cause and time of death, I would just dispose of it.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    What if it had eaten rat poison put out by a neighbour?

5. jennbuker

jennbuker New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    They don't free range - they have a pen that keeps them safe from predators (and my darn dogs!). They are also kept inside at night - and my nearest neighbor is WAY far for a chicken to range anyway! So - rat poison is a no. [​IMG]

I'm not going to eat her. I'll wait the 3 weeks for the rest of my birds.

Thanks....

Jenn

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I am not a fan of processing a bird found dead, You can't bleed it out at all and that's a big downer for me. Now you could still process it and feed it back to the birds with peace of mind.

7. jennbuker

jennbuker New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    I think I'll just toss her in the river and let some lucky 'predator' have her for lunch! I really think she died of natural causes, but I don't think it's wise to chance it!

Oh well.... 23 left!

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd feed her to my dogs since she was still warm.

9. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Quote:Not saying the OP should eat this bird, but a good brine soak will get the blood out of a dead bird. I do it with ducks, pheasants, turkeys etc. Soak the carcass for 24 to 48 hours in the frig. Change the water often.

10. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Not saying the OP should eat this bird, but a good brine soak will get the blood out of a dead bird. I do it with ducks, pheasants, turkeys etc. Soak the carcass for 24 to 48 hours in the frig. Change the water often.

X2 I don't eat them, feed them to my dogs, but like every other hunter, have eaten the meat of a bird who's bleeding was mostly internal................................ carried around for a good portion of the day before processed.................... sometimes the gut having been perforated and contents leaked into the cavity. Most of us preferred if the shot pattern only hit the head, with almost no bleeding at all. I was never sick from eating any of that meat, or even knew of someone who had been.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by