Can I eat my eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skyblues22, Jul 27, 2010.

1. skyblues22

skyblues22 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    I finally got my first eggs today from my girls...I have six Golden Comets at 17 weeks old, and got 4 eggs...yeppie.... But now, I am wondering are they suppose to be on any type of medication or have been given any type of shots so the eggs are safe to eat. Just worried about stuff like swine flu...Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Nope. You surely can eat those eggs!! Congrats to you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Bon appetit

Imp

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    No shots or medication - eat up.
    They are not swine, FYI. [​IMG]

5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I think you meant bird flu and there has not been 1 incident of this disease in the United States. So yes, eat up!

6. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    I have never eaten the first eggs from my chickens just because they usally have a blood spot in them, but after the first one your safe to eat away!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, they are safe to eat. No difference between a pullet egg and a hen egg other than maybe size.
    Blood spots and/or meat spots happen occasionally, even in older hens. Doesn't make the egg inedible. If they bother you, just scoop them out with a spoon. I just mix them in with scrambled eggs, sometimes fish them out first for fried, but we mainly eat our eggs scrambled.

8. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Oh and by the way, you cannot get "swine flu" from swine. Only they can get it from you. The more you know! [​IMG]

9. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    NO! You cannot eat them! You need to parcel them up and send them to me. My girls are not laying at the moment and I am missing fresh real eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Turtle Island

Turtle Island Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Eat 'em! You'll never taste better eggs than the ones your girls lay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by