Can I eat Orpinton Roos at 28 weeks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BawkBawkBeep, Apr 10, 2012.

1. BawkBawkBeep

BawkBawkBeep New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    I want to make sure they are as big as possible. I've been told that at some point you can't eat roos anymore, but they seem to have a growth spurt before 28 weeks. How old can they get before you can't eat them?

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    thats the first i heard

you can eat chicken

roos or hens at any age you feel comfortable with

1 person likes this.
  3. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    [​IMG]

Well we have a 2 year old Orp Rooster, 10 pounds, who is still performing his services. I will assure you that someday his final service will be performed in a large slow cooker! He will be delicious too!

4. BawkBawkBeep

BawkBawkBeep New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    But I've heard that after they mature, their meat gets tough or the taste is affected. I've seen people who harvest roos when they start crowing for this reason.

5. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    thats hormones mate

when roos want a bit of nookie nokkie that secrete hormones which YES makes the meat tough

so a solution is caponising the roo that keeps the meat tender longer as no hormones get secreted

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Everybody is different and has different tastes. A lot of people do different things.

I just ate a rooster that was over a year old. He spent about 10 hours in the crock pot on low heat. The meat was a little stringy and I needed to floss after I ate, but he was delicious. A little chewy, but delicious. If I had tried to fry him, he would have been inedible as far as I'm concerned.

I purposely won't harvest a cockerel until he is at least 15 weeks old and I prefer 18 weeks. To me, they taste better. But I also coook them slow and with moisture.

7. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    he is far to beautiful to cull

although i understand and would do the same but would find it real hard to do it and beleive me i have a srong stomach and have culled bulls before

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  8. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    Yes, age does alter the taste, for the better. They actually taste more like chicken, vs the 6 week old, bland tasteless birds available at your market today. There is no dark meat on today's chicken, they are processed before dark meat can develop (from exercize). Old roosters are almost entirely dark meat. People have become accustomed to today's mass produced birds.
    Silverfox0786- I only have one working rooster, we caponize ALL cockerals, and the resulting capons are indeed the best way to utilize them. Capons IMHO are indeed at the very top for poultry meat production. Regarding our present rooster, should a larger cornish type become available his services will no longer be required. Look to improve your flock.
    jeff

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    28 weeks is still perfectly edible - tasty if you give them a nice extended resting time to really let the muscle fibers relax and break down. A lower temp and moisture keeps it more tender,. It wouldn't bode well for a quick fried chicken, but it's still definitely something to make a meal from!

10. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    I agree with others. We processed our 2 year old Roo last week. Cooked him in the crock pot for 8 hours (coq au vin), and he was delicious. Usually I don't like crock put chicken because they get so mushy, but his meat held together and was great tasting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by