can I eat these eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkwindsong, Dec 21, 2011.

1. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Hi I had been missing a couple of my girls everyday and knew they wernt laying in the nest box. so I searched out the nest.. found it they had it covered with leaves.. still using this nest when I found it. well the leaves have stained the outside shell.. i tested them in water they all sink no rising to the top.. no cracks.... and I scrubbed but the stain wont come off .. these eggs cant have been more than a week or so old... can we still eat them? I was going to hard boil them..?? if they arnt good for people can I hard boil them for my girls.. they love boiled eggs.. ( I dont give shells or raw and pre crumble it too) ..

)O(
    Pink

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Nothing wrong with them, I eat stained eggs all the time. The insides are fine.

3. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:x2

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I would just crack them into a bowl first and see if there is anything growing like a chick before putting them into the pan

5. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Nothing wrong, after all you're not eating the shell, it's whats on the inside that counts [​IMG]

6. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    how old can eggs be before they are no good? is there a easy rule to them or is it tthe sink or rise method? [​IMG]
    )O(Pink

7. Quack-a-DoodleDo

Quack-a-DoodleDo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:Thats what I would do too.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:it all depends on the conditions... if its nice and cool i have had eggs in my fridge for 3 - 4 weeks no problem they make the best hard boiled or deviled eggs... but in the summer i found a nest and the egg sunk with the float test and i opened it up in a bowl first and it was nasty nasty.. [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by