1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed Crumbles to chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pnkbrry24, Jul 4, 2011.

1. pnkbrry24

pnkbrry24 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    California
    I ran out of medicated feed today, and the store is closed, is it okay if I feed my 2 week old chicks crumbles for today?

Thanks

2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    they should be more than fine w/ that. Mine eat the pellets their mama eats too. They don't have to have medicated feed unless you just want them too. I just give mine chick crumbles.

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    mine have only had crumbles. and they do great now on the finisher crumbles before i mve them to pellets.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. No problem. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:As long as they are starter crumbles. You don't want to use grower or layer crumbles yet. Definitely not layer.

6. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Mine only eat crumbles. Because I raise bantams I do grind it down even finer so they waste much less feed. When in grow out pen I feed crumbles (non ground) and also hang a feeder with the feed that the other adult chickens get. As birds get older they do start eating the pellets on their own making the switch very easy.

7. pnkbrry24

pnkbrry24 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    California
    ohh, I have been giving them the Layena Crumbles I give to my hens. Better go to the store now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by